The Red Lion

The Red Lion in Decmber 2000

Until recently, there were two public houses in the village: the Red Lion at Little Tingewick and the Kings Head near Finmere House. The Kings Head has closed and the Red Lion is now our only pub.

In common with many rural pubs, the Red Lion began in a small cottage, little different from others in the village, and it dates from at least 1816. Before its modernisation from 1960 onwards, the pub had two rooms and beer was brought from the cellar in handled pots. The men's toilets were across the yard and pigs were kept in the paddock across the main road.

The Red Lion (right) behind the blacksmiths' forge: about 1900
The Red Lion (right) and part of Finmere Garage in 1971 The Red Lion in the early 1980s

Customers leave the Red Lion in 1960

From left: Wilf Davies, June Anderson and Bob Sikes.
The name 'Albert Horwood' can be seen over the door fixed over that of his father, John.

Villagers and friends pose before travelling to Ascot Ladies Day in the late 1990s
The Red Lion in December 2000

See also