Stone House (Lepper's House)
The Yates family erected Stone House, formerly called Mr Lepper’s House, in 1638. It was sold by two women named Harding to Mr Baldwin in 1810. Thomas Ceates owned it in 1840. When purchased by Alfred Lepper from Mr Kendall, it was one storey high and thatched. He raised the walls one storey, keeping the thatch. In 1879, at the same time as the Seymour Ashwell’s Rectory was extended, the dormer storey and slate roof was added. The original building is commemorated by a date stone on the south wall and Alf Lepper’s rebuilding by a date stone on the east porch with the monogram A.T.E.L.
Stone House was listed Grade II by English Heritage in October 1988:
House, Datestone IYEY/1638 in left gable. Datestone 1879 ATL. C20 alterations. Squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched red-tile roof with stone coped gables and ball finials, 2 brick end stacks and a stair ridge stack with chamfered stone base. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 3-window range. Entrance off-centre to right via C20 porch. Ground floor has two 4-light stone mullioned windows to left of porch and another similar window to right, Hand moulds and label stops. First floor has three 3-light stone mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops. 3 gabled full dormers have 3-light stone mullion windows and stone coped gables. All windows on front elevation have C20 opening casements inserted within the stone mullioned frames. Stone string course to attic. Single storey outshot to rear. Interior noted as containing C17 ceiling beams and C19 staircase. Known as Mr. Lepper's House in 1887. When he bought it the house was one storey high and thatched. Lepper raised the walls in 1879. IYEY/1638 stands for members of the Yates family. Interior not inspected.