Bacon’s House, named after its early owners, was the former manor house and manorial courts were held there. It was purchased along with land in Finmere by Richard Grenville, 2nd Earl Temple in 1753. (STG Correspondence Box 425 (1, 3, 39). Temple's assertion that "whenever I commence Landlord you may certainly keep your furniture there as long as the house shall be left standing" suggests that he did not intend to use Bacon's House for a tenant or agent (STG Correspondence Box 425 (3) 18 September 1753).
As part of the Stowe estate, there was no need for a manor house in Finmere; the Vestry and the Stowe Steward dealt with parish matters. The Grenville-Temples pulled down much of Bacon’s House in the early nineteenth century leaving a more modest farmhouse, and demolished its water mill. The current building retains seventeenth century features behind its eighteenth century front.
Following the practice of many large landholders in recent times, the late Duke of Buckingham pulled down the greater part of the old Manor House, and reduced it to its present proportions. Destroying the watermill, and most of the former features of the spot, he substituted for them the excellent barns and other farm buildings now standing. This house has been occupied for many years by Mr. J. Treadwell, and is now the property of Merton College. (Blomfield's History of Finmere 1887)
Bacon's House from Blomfield
Bacon's House was listed Grade II by English Heritage in October 1988:
Farmhouse. C17 with C18 front range. Squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched red-tile roofs. Brick end stacks. C18 range. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Central entrance has front with hipped red-tile roof. Panelled/glazed door and moulded wood frame. Ground floor has sashes with keyblock lintels and glazing bars. 4 similar first floor windows. Stone band to first floor. Earlier range to rear has 2 gabled dormers. Stable attached to right. Squared coursed limestone. Steeply pitched slate roof. Single storey plus loft. 2 stable entrances with plank doors and wood lintels. Gabled loft entrance with plank door and wood lintel. Hipped roof on right. The former Manor House or Court House taking its name from C18 owners. In the first half of the C18 the Duke of Buckingham, Lord of the Manor, pulled damn most of the old house and built the present farm buildings. Purchased by Merton College Oxford in 1853 and 1858. Interior not inspected.