Auction of Finmere Grounds and Bacon’s House, 1851
Extract from a document in Buckinghamshire Record Office. The sale followed the collapse of the Stowe Estate as a result of excessive spending by the Dukes of Buckingham and Chandos.
Messrs Harrison & Son
at The White Hart Inn, Buckingham
on Wednesday, the 12th day of November 1851
at one o’clock
A compact farm called Bacon House Farm, in the parish of Finmere, containing 166a 3r 39p of Arable, Meadow and Pasture Land, in the occupation of Wm Treadwell, as yearly tenant, at the apportioned rent of about £143, and comprising …
The commuted Tithe Rent Charge is £52 19s 5d.
A very compact and Excellent Farm, called Finmere Grounds Farm, containing 253s 3r 7p of Arable, Meadow and Pasture land in the occupation of Wm Barrett, as yearly tenant, at the apportioned rent of £237 …
[Includes] 82. Six cottages and gardens containing 0a 2r 14p let at a rent amounting to about £10, the landlord paying Rates and Taxes.
[Sketch of map in auction catalogue]
The commuted Tithe Rent Charge is £81 16s 7d.
Lots 1, 4, & 5 [Lot 1 is a farm in Tingewick]
[summary] The lots were part of the marriage settlement of the present Duke of Buckingham and Chandos made in 1819. They are charged at £4,000 per annum for life, and a gross sum of £2,000 for the present Duchess should she survive the Duke, and two sums of £20,000 each, one of which has been raised, the other to be raised on his death for the children. But releases for the charges cannot be made. So to allow them to be sold, agreement has been reached to raise the charges on other estates instead.
Lots 4 & 5
It is considered that the whole of the estate (of which these lots are part) was purchased in two parcels, not clearly defined as to quantity, in 1753 and 1754.