The Modern Rectory
The Old Rectory was sold in 1931, when the parishes of Finmere and Mixbury became a joint living, and from 1931 to 1956 there was no resident clergyman in Finmere. The Old Rectory in Mixbury was sold in 1959 and Reverend Maurice Sheldon rented a bungalow, now called Terra Firma, at Tile House Farm in Fulwell Road, while the current Rectory in Water Stratford Road was constructed. The land for the new Rectory had been part of the Glebe land until sold in 1946; it was repurchased in 1957. The Rectory was designed by Surman and Chilton and was built and occupied in 1958. The Rectory was altered and extended in the summer of 1996. Surman and Chilton were based at St Aldates, Oxford, and designed several new clergy houses in the Diocese of Oxford in the 1950s and 1960s including the Rectory at Lower Heyford, four years before Finmere.
The new Rectory extension under construction in 1996